The Cross Butchers – 1-3 Main Street Kilsyth
The Cross Butchers takes it name from what was once the cross of Kilsyth. This historic location was a busy and focal point of the community. The premises have a long association with the butchery trade. The Glen Family then took over the butchers in 1903, having a history in butchery since 1760. By 1923 the butchers shop had then been bought over by The Co-Operative, selling fresh meats from their fleshing department. When it ceased trading with the Co-Operative the shop was then sold to two former employees David Gourlay and Peter McGlynn when the shops name was then changed to The Cross Butchers.
The Cross Butchers was then bought by current owner Gareth Curle a local accountant and business man in 2009, when the shop was taken over it was renovated and made in to more of a modern traditional Scottish craft butchers. The business is still located within the local community and continues to trade till this day, selling quality award winning products such as Scottish Pie Champion 2017-2018 & West of Scotland Beef Sausage Champion 2018-2019. With many more award winning products available in store.
Research & Information by Ex Kilsyth Academy Teacher & Local Historian, May 2021.